Friday 21 December 2018

It's finally the holidays!

Hey, how are you all doing? I am feeling light and happy because it's not until the 7th of January that I will have to think about work again!😊 Then ten days later it will be my birthday, when I will turn 41. Justine broke up on the same day as I and that was so helpful. Have you sorted all your cards and presents? I am slowly getting there...I know, I am late this year, especially with cards. I am known to have wrapped all my presents by November 1st, lol. You must be thinking "Get a life!" but I believe some level of organisation in some areas are quintessential while in some other areas, spontaneity is the key.
Anyway, I would not be true to myself if I didn't pen off after giving you a recipe or recipe idea;) so here goes: try crispy chicken with golden potato wedges and vegetables of your choice.



To be honest, I had planned on making crispy chicken using seasoned flour and breadcrumbs but I was low on all-purpose flour (aka. AP flour) so I decided to venture into new realms...I used fine polenta mixed with the little flour I had left and seasoned it with salt and pepper and a little bit of chicken seasoning mix. I never measure any of these ingredients when making the seasoned flour so just use logic and put in what looks reasonable. I cut my chicken breast quite thin so it would take a very short time to fry. I only shallow fried them after dipping (I think the correct term is dredging) each piece in the seasoned flour/polenta mix. They looked so lovely and golden due to the polenta, it was hard to wait to eat them!
For the wedges, cut each potato in half first (this makes it easier to cut wedges afterwards) then cut each half into wedges but not too thick. The trick to get them all crispy and golden is to use a mixture of coarse polenta, a pinch of garlic powder, salt, pepper and a pinch of onion powder on the wedges. First you need to coat the potato pieces with oil (I use rapeseed a lot for frying and general cooking because it is good for you and it has a high smoke point). After coating them in oil, dredge them into that polenta mixture and bake on a baking sheet in a preheated oven at 190 degrees Celsius (that's about 375 degrees Fahrenheit) for about 35 to 40 minutes (just keep an eye on them past the 30 minutes mark).
As for the vegetables, you can cook (boil, steam or roast) whatever you like to go with your dinner but I have an idea for divine green beans. Use fine green beans to be quick but any will work. Cut the beans into short chunks then fry them on a medium high heat into a skillet that has a small amount of hot oil in it. Season with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Continue frying for 5 minutes and take off the heat; they are best served immediately.
Enjoy the ideas and good luck with all the festive preparations, decorations and visits! See you again soon...don't forget to eat mince pies and drink hot chocolate;)

Sorry I look like I just woke up (I had just woken up...lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment