Wednesday 8 May 2019

After the Easter Break


Easter has been and gone and it was a lovely time. We went to church on Easter Sunday and the service was very good. I have to admit I don't go to church as often as I should and it was just nice to be there for that special day. Justine is not a big fan of chocolate but she does eat some dark chocolate and anything Kinder so that that's the type of treats she got for Easter, together with a sweet homemade treat bag. I love crafting homemade cards, as you know by now, and other things too. Unfortunately, I am not partial to one type of chocolate, I am partial to chocolate, period! lol.


Justine with the Brownies flag for their mass at Saint Mary's church, Sunbury


Now school (and work, for me) has resumed and time is an important factor to consider when planning meals or outings. I still have my day off in the week, which makes a difference to what I can do. Without it, Justine would have much less homemade treats and elaborate meals. It doesn't mean that we don't eat out once in a while or have the occasional ready-meal. It has become a bit of a ritual that after Brownies, we have fish and chips (or nuggets and chips in Justine's case).
I made some delicious Mauritian Dhal Puris last time and I want to share the pictures with you. I made it twice and it came out a bit different every time...still delicious!



These dhal puris are soft flatbreads made with split peas (filling) that have been boiled in water to which turmeric and salt have been added. Once they are soft enough to squash between two fingers, they are drained and left to cool down but the cooking water must be reserved to make the dough. The dough is literally just flour, salt, oil and a little bicarbonate of soda. The split peas cooking water is used to bring these ingredients together into a soft dough. The dough is then left to rest for about half an hour, in a bowl, covered with a damp tea towel. Then little balls are made from the dough and stuffed with the split peas (that have been blended to a fine powder first). The balls are rolled out carefully on a well floured surface and cooked in a flat, non-stick frying pan or a tawa if you have one (it's an Indian Mauritian thing. lol). You can research how to make Dhal puris on YouTube or online. There are lots of resources about it. Along the way to perfecting my puris, I learnt that in Trinidad and Tobago, they also make them. There are subtle differences but essentially it's the same thing. 
Justine is very busy watching YouTube;) I better get busy with housework. lol.
Have a very good week and I see you here soon.


Bye for now:)) 
~Natascha~






No comments:

Post a Comment