Sunday 28 July 2013

Craft Things For Your Home

Crafting things for your home is a good way to introduce uniqueness and interesting objects for half the price, or less, of what you would pay for a similar type object in a shop. Those who have children will find that in many cases, they can join in the craft project and everyone can enjoy great family time while also making something useful or decorative. As an example, my daughter Justine and myself made a scary spider out of newspapers, kitchen roll, PVA glue and paint. The idea stemmed from the fact that she dislikes spiders and is even a little scared of them. So I thought making a spider together would be good in the way that she might view the spider as being fun and colourful in the end and not be afraid of them anymore. To be honest that bit did not work but we did have fun and, just for that, it was well worth the effort.
 
I like crocheting myself and made a little decorative piece for the light cord in the bathroom. I know it's not such a meaningful project but when you are a full-time mum of a toddler of three years old who constantly wants to play or climb or touch everything and anything, believe me, any small achievement feels great.
What we enjoyed making as well, Justine and me, are signs to put on the doors to different rooms. We have done a little daisy chain one for Justine's bedroom/playroom and I have made one for my bedroom but we have yet to make one for the bathroom, kitchen and living room. Something to look forward to I guess.
 
One of my big hobbies is card making. I find that making greeting cards is gratifying because you make your own card from scratch and seeing the final product feels good but also, the person at the receiving end will surely appreciate the care and time you put into it. Getting a card from the newsagent or from the shop is so easy but nothing will compare to a homemade card. I found a real good book about card making; Novelty Cards by Sue Nicholson. I got it at a bargain price on Amazon and even though it was second hand, it was in amazingly good condition.
If you haven't started crafting yet, give it a try...you might be surprised as it can be addictive.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment